As a testament to their freedom and praise to God they nailed their shackles to the outside of the church. You can see them in the pictures above. We went inside a monastary and there was a lot of cool architecture and artwork.
Our guide told us that most of the people outside of the monastery envied the ease with which the monks lived. They ate better, were paid more and lived more comfortable lives than the townspeople. Because of this the sculptors would get back at them by mocking them with the marble etchings they produced in the monastary. This picture depicts a monk
with the facial characteristics of a monkey sitting on a chamber pot! After our guided tour we had the opportunity to go into a huge cathedral called the Santa Iglesia Catedral Primada. We were told that it is the richest cathedral in the world. It cost 7 euros to go in and we couldn't decide whether we wanted to pay that much for a cathedral that would probably look like every other cathedral. I decided to go in, and I was SO glad that I did. It was NOT just another cathedral and it was definitely worth the money. The outside is not very impressive which I'm finding out is the case with many historical buildings, but the inside is unbelievable. It was massive and everything was so elaborately decorated and detailed. Gold was everywhere and there was more than you could see or take in if you spent a whole day there. I just stood there in awe. You couldn't take pictures inside so there are pictures of the outside below even though they don't do it justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment