Thursday, February 26, 2009

Everyday life in Granada

Posted by: Ashton
We are in our third week of classes now and have gotten into a normal living routine. I have four classes on Monday/Wednesday (Grammar, Economics of Spain & Latin America, Civilization & Culture of Spain, and Oral & Written Production) and one class on Tuesday/Thursday (Spanish literature). I am done by lunch time which is my goal every semester and so I am very happy with my schedule. I really like all of my teachers and have been enjoying the classes too. The only problem is that with all of the thinking that I have to do in class, I get very hungry. I usually pack and apple, Magdalena and a juice box for snack but I am still ravenously hungry by 2 or 3 pm when we get back to the apartment for lunch!

Lyndsey, Nick and I all joined the public library so that we can check out books and American movies dubbed over with ridiculous-sounding Spanish voices. So far I’ve seen Pride and Prejudice, Dirty Dancing and While You Were Sleeping. I ran out of time and had to return Cinderella Man without watching it 

I’ve also joined a gym which is an interesting experience every time I go. I take spinning, pilates, and yoga classes and after the first classes I’ve been able to listen to the instructor instead of constantly watching the people around me. I also use the cardio equiptment and weight machines but of course all of that is different than what I’m used to. To add to my confusion they have half of the weights in kilograms and the others in pounds. Basically I stick out pretty bad as the confused American girl.

Last weekend Victoria had two French girls stay in the other bedroom. They were visiting with their high school Spanish class I think. Although they knew practically zero Spanish. I was in the shower when they arrived and when I got out I could hear Victoria talking their ears off and asking them question after question to which they replied with silence. Lyndsey and I decided to intervene but unfortunately my limited French failed me and we had to resort to translating via Lyndsey’s computer. We definitely helped the situation and I think the girls and Victoria were grateful. Friendly banter was not exactly convenient but the girls were very nice and they added a little excitement to the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment