Thursday, April 2, 2009

ROME Part 2





Images of the Pantheon

The last morning that we were in Rome, we woke up early to go to the Vatican Museum and see the Sistine Chapel. I don’t think I was aware of the magnitude of the Vatican Museum before I went. As we were standing in line, my friend Kelley was trying to figure out which wall Tom Cruise had scaled and which street he had escaped down in Mission Impossible 3. At that moment Lyndsey thought she saw Tom Cruise standing in line. Of course, it wasn’t him, but she got several pictures of his lookalike by having one of us pose in the general direction where he was standing and then she would take a picture of this man instead of us. Once we were inside the museum we saw early Christian art to begin with and then icons. We also saw many tapestries, paintings, and sculptures. As if this wasn’t enough to look at, there are also decorated ceilings all throughout the Vatican Museum. At the end we saw the Sistine Chapel, which I felt there was too much hype over. Everyone, unfortunately including the group I was with just wanted to get to the Sistine chapel as soon as possible, so I felt like I missed out on a lot of the other art. What I have encountered at the Prado, Vatican Museum, and the cathedrals is that you could spend days taking in all of the art! The ceilings are so elaborate and have so many different paintings and parts to them that I just want to lay on the floor. I think that would be a better and more enjoyable view instead of craning my neck to see! I don’t think that’s possible though  After lunch we got on the bus to go to the airport. Once at the airport, I found a caprese sandwich so I was thrilled. Tomato, basil, and FRESH mozzarella are three of my favorite foods, so when you put them all together it is even better! I also found some delicious truffles. Apparently it was my lucky day!

Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment